It’s the most wonderful time of the year! It’s also the time when we’re most likely to slack off on our healthcare routines, including caring for our teeth. I want the best for you, no matter what time of year, so I’d like to take this opportunity to remind you to KEEP FLOSSING, no matter how tired you are, busy you are, or late you return from holiday parties. Think brushing alone is sufficient? Think again. Here are some things to remember about flossing:
- Flossing is the most effective way to clean between your teeth. Irrigators and angled toothbrushes just won’t do the trick. Only dental floss can get between the miniscule space between teeth and below the gum line.
- Plaque acts quickly. Within hours of sitting on your teeth, plaque begins to harden and becomes more difficult to remove. Skipping a single day of flossing can be detrimental to your oral health.
- Nobody wants bad breath. Flossing removes bacteria and microscopic food particles that can cause bad breath. If you’ve ever flossed after skipping several days, you may have noticed that the floss has an unpleasant smell; that’s the same smell you emit when you exhale. Keep bad breath at bay by flossing every day.
- You probably want to keep your teeth. When you don’t floss, your chances of gum disease are drastically increased. Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss, so if you want to keep those pearly whites firmly planted in your gums, you’ll floss every single day.
- Flossing keeps your body healthy. Yep, your body. Those with gum disease are more likely to experience heart disease, diabetes, even strokes! Keep your gums and body healthy by flossing — no matter how busy you are.
I love seeing you in my office, no matter what the reason. Still, I’d rather you floss every day and see me with less frequency than to skip even a single day of flossing and require elaborate and potentially costly treatments. This season, do yourself a favor and JUST KEEP FLOSSING!