It’s March Madness time and everyone in Charlotte has basketball fever. Whether you’re in the NBA, play college ball, or just play pickup games in the park, you need to be concerned with your teeth. Why? Accidents are bound to happen! A ball to the face can result in a split lip, an elbow to the mouth can easily chip a tooth, and a face plant to the court can knock an entire tooth out; why take chances when a customized mouthguard from Family Dental Choice can prevent you from experiencing pain and needing costly restorative dental treatments?
Why Customized Mouthguards?
Sure, you can buy a boil and bite mouthguard from your local sports or discount retailer, but just how much protection can a generic piece of plastic offer? There are many reasons we recommend customized mouthguards, including:
- They are made to fit your mouth. Not just your teeth, your mouth. Customized guards provide plenty of room for the tongue, gums, and cheeks, making them far more comfortable than anything available in the store.
- They can be customized for your particular sport. Depending on what you play, the thickness of your guard will be adjusted to provide the most protection in the areas most likely to be impacted.
- They allow you to breathe comfortably, even during strenuous activity.
- They are tear-resistant and easy to clean.
- They provide unparallelled protection from injury.
Which Sports Require Mouthguards?
While mouthguards aren’t necessarily required in many sports, the American Dental Association recommends that children and adults involved in the following sports wear mouthguards:
- Martial arts such as Jiu Jitsu, Krav Maga, Karate, and MMA.
- Contact sports such as football, hockey, wrestling, and boxing.
- Other sports, including soccer, baseball, basketball, volleyball, and track and field events.
- In a nutshell, if you can sustain any kind of impact to your face, a customized mouthguard for both practice and competition is advisable.
Let Us Help!
If you or your children live in or near the Charlotte, North Carolina area and are involved in any of the sports mentioned above, let us provide you with the protection you need. Contact our office to schedule a consultation. The health of your teeth is our top priority.