It used to be that dentures were the only option for those with missing teeth. While dentures are affordable and allow patients to avoid the embarrassment of a toothless smile, they aren’t without their faults. For residents of Charlotte and the surrounding areas who prefer a more secure and permanent solution to missing teeth, we often recommend dental implants.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are posts – usually made from titanium – that mimic the function of tooth roots. After they are placed in the jaw and the gums have healed, natural-looking, sturdy prosthetic teeth are permanently placed over the implants. The result is a mouth full of beautiful teeth that no one will know are prosthetic, leaving you free to share your smile with the world.
There is a reason we suggest implants over other tooth replacement options: they have many benefits. Here are just a few.
- No eating restrictions. Because implants are permanent and as strong as healthy natural teeth, you are free to enjoy your favorite foods. No need to cut your corn off of a cob; grab yourself a full ear and dig in.
- Easy care. Implants require the same care that natural teeth require, including brushing after each meal, flossing daily, and visiting your dentist as recommended. No more soaking your teeth by the sink every night!
- Improved speech. Because the fit of dentures can be tenuous, some people have difficulty speaking with clarity while wearing them. Implants securely anchor the teeth into your jaw, making sharing your favorite story with friends worry-free.
- They are versatile. Whether you’re missing one tooth or many, implants can provide a solution.
- They can even be used to anchor dental bridges, adding stability and functionality to your smile.
- Implants prevent future problems. If you’re missing even a single tooth and don’t replace it, you’re inviting a host of complications. The gap created by a missing tooth allows the remaining teeth to shift, potentially causing bite problems, jaw pain, and bone loss.
If you or someone you know are looking for a solution to missing teeth, contact Family Dental Choice to schedule a consultation. We proudly serve patients in Charlotte, North Carolina, and the surrounding areas.